Wednesday 16 October 2013

Trafalgar square

Dear Diary,

Did you miss me? Sorry for not writing to you yesterday but I was really busy; I was all day at uni and afterwards I was studying till late at night. Pffff, but today is my dynamic comeback cause I want to show you a very beautiful square; Trafalgar square. There, I went on 9th October. I know, I`m one week behind but I`m trying to catch up.
                                         
 Trafalgar Square is a public space and tourist attraction in central London, built around the area formerly known as Charing Cross and it`s  in the borough of the City of Westminster. At its centre is Nelson's Column, which is guarded by four lion statues at its base. There are a number of statues and sculptures in the square, with one plinth displaying changing pieces of contemporary art. The square is also used for political demonstrations and community gatherings, such as the celebration of New Year's Eve.


The name commemorates the Battle of Trafalgar (1805), a British naval victory of the Napoleonic Wars over France. The original name was to have been "King William the Fourth's Square", but George Ledwell Taylor suggested the name "Trafalgar Square".In the 1820s, George IV engaged the architect John Nash to redevelop the area but he present architecture of the square is due to SirCharles Barry and was completed in 1845.Trafalgar Square is owned by the Queen in Right of the Crown, and managed by the Greater London Authority, while Westminster City Council owns the roads around the square.



 When the square was laid out in the 1840s, the fountains' primary purpose was not aesthetic, but rather to reduce the open space available and the risk of riotous assembly.





Before reaching Trafalgar Square, I made a few pit stops. Pit stop 1: King`s road posing next to a fountain. 




Pit stop 2: I caught bus 137 and went straight to Oxford Street. 



Pit stop 3: From Oxford to Regent Street and from there heading to Trafalgar Square.  Apart from the traditional red telephone booth, look at this black one that matches with my dark lipstick.


Enjoy guys. 
Goodnight!
Litsiana K.


P.S. Black laced boots, PRIMARK
        Union Jack leggings, PRIMARK
        Jumper, PRIMARK
        Black Leather Lacket, ANEL
        Orange Outwear, Bonachero
        Shoulder Bag, Juicy Couture





No comments:

Post a Comment